S U M M E R V A C A T I O N
Though we're no longer enrolled in school, we're always learning—and we still believe that taking a Summer Vacation is of the utmost importance. Be it in the form of a road trip that unfolds over a hot, long weekend, or in the form of extended visits to distant, remote locales, Summer Vacations are meltingly relaxing.
We also love exceptional things...So much so, in fact, that there are certain physical objects and products that we'd argue we cannot live without—or at least wouldn't want to.
What are some of these mythical things? How can one travel most comfortably? Most exquisitely? Read on to discover what Yves and Dwyer, along with the SK Staff, love or need in our lives—even (or especially) when traveling.
- I always travel with 3 rings— my Aquarius Gold, my custom SK wedding ring, and a yellow gold Mercury ring.
- I have a good luck scarf by Faleiro Sarti that I bring with me even in the summer. I sometimes use it on the plane to keep my body temperature moderate, but sometimes it will just sit in my duffle bag.
- I always bring an extra suitcase to carry back vinyl. I’ve learned that even on a summer vacation in a remote town on the coast of Italy I magically come across records and it pays to be prepared. Of course if I’m in a proper city, I prepare a map of record stores to visit.
- I think of packing like I’m assembling a puzzle or solving a mystery. I like all of the pieces to work together. There’s always a lot of navy and black. Actually that’s all there ever is!
- I bring always carry about 3-4 books, and my tastes are pretty eclectic. One of things that I love about traveling is getting to read. I usually read music biographies over the summer… I always have and don’t know why. On my recent trip I read the following: Tearing Down the Wall of Sound: The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown—this is a fascinating biography of Phil Spector. He was obviously a troubled man, but also one of my favorite music producers. Substance: Inside New Order by Peter Hook—I had so much fun reading this book. Hit Men - Power Brokers and Fast Money Inside the Music Business by Frederic Dannen— I worked in the music business briefly right when this book was published. I read it when I was 19 and was fascinated to read it again. It’s an historical document and an unintentionally prescient document on why the industry fell apart.
- I have the following set for my next trip: Season of the Witch: Enchantment, Terror, and Deliverance in the City of Love by David Talbot, Official Negligence : How Rodney King and the Riots Changed Los Angeles and the LAPD by Lou Cannon, and Stranger in a Strange Land: The Science Fiction Classic Uncut by Robert Heinlein
- In a way, packing for 1 suitcase when you’re gone for a month is kind of like planning to be on a deserted island... In a super 1st world kind of way that is.
- On that note, I’m really into these drop-chain earrings that I forgot to return to Brandon (our press extraordinaire). I wear just the huggie on the plane and while in transit, and then just loop in the dangling part when I stop through London or have dinner out in Venice.
- I also wear my SPF 85 sunscreen every day (for those of us who shoot for the stars on a tan-fair spectrum. I’m going for glow-in-the-dark in keeping with Irish roots)
- A black Nehera cotton dress with a removable snap-on skirt extension which makes it extra convenient for hot weather, and extra hot weather, respectively.
- Also thank you to a Dover Street market sale I won’t be taking off my JW Anderson bomber jacket with weird hand flaps regardless of temperature.
- On my next trip I plan to pack a Transcendental Meditation practice, which I think would help enormously with irritating Airbnb hosts, excruciating Uber rides, customs lines, and the like
- Bronson, to scare off the wild animals (which might not work...)
- A harpoon
- A lighter
- A machete
- A big jar of aloe vera gel
- I'd bring my cat (for protection)
- A spear for fishing
- A big hat
- Endless supply of LaCroix
- Coconut Oil
- Avene Ultra-Light Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50+
- Pegasus yellow gold hoops!
- La Roche Posay SPF 50
- Andalou Rose water face spray
- Turkey Jerky (editor's note: turkey jerky is also, perhaps, the most popular SK office snack)
- Sauvignon Blanc (My favorite wine - a necessity)
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser and Daily Moisturizer (I guess I’ll hop on the skincare wagon!)
- Fujifilm Instax Mini Camera (Gotta document the adventure on some film!)
- Audible.com subscription (can I also have power and my iPhone?!)
- Laura Mercier illuminating tinted moisturizer & SPF
- Song Tea & Ceramics - Shan Lin Xi Green tea
- The Marley family (Damian, Ziggy, Stephen & Bob if possible) for some reggae Island vibes
- GNARALOO FATTY SURFBOARD (I’m the worst San Diegan ever: I never took the time to learn, so on a desert island, I’d probably spend time teaching myself)
- Copy of The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (I’ve attempted reading this book six times, and get too confused, so if I had a ton of time I’d finally get all these Russian names straight)
- A GoPro Hero 5 (let’s face it, I’d want some killer Instagram posts once I get back to WiFi, and why waste an opportunity like a deserted island?)
- A Royal Botania Wave Hammock (I don’t know if there would be a surface to put it on, but I’m pretty sure this is the only furniture I’d need)
- All of the Mangos (because why not?)
- Missha Soft Finish Sun Milk SPF 50+
- Baseball Hat(s)
- A portable desalination system
- Andalou face cleanser— I love the Apricot Probiotic and the Rose Cleanser and when I check my suitcase, I do so solely to ensure that they don't steal this from me at customs!
- Tinted moisturizer with SPF, by NARS or Laura Mercier
- My jewelry (seriously...And this includes my Spinelli Kilcollin Vega SG)
- Ingredients to make ginger margaritas: fresh lime juice, fresh pressed ginger, Casamigos or Espelon blanco, and St. Germain!!
- My Coach Visor to keep the sun out my eyes
- Flamingo Floating cup holders
- A carton of my favorite cigarettes because everyone you always bring an extra pack or two to the party
- My Nexus MX and Altaire YG press samples in case of last minute red carpet requests